For all of you that may not know, I recently turned 27. Not that old, but a little too close to 30 for my liking. Safe to say, I may have had a little late 20’s life meltdown and frantically put together a list of things I want to do before 30!
I think it’s pretty normal when you reach an age you used to think was really old, and an age that you just assumed you’d get to and have your life figured out, to have a tiny panic. You realise what opportunities are still open to you at such a young age and the thought of letting them float away in the wind is terrifying.
That’s why I thought I’d take action, in my current ‘no-regrets’ state of mind. I’ve put together a list of 30 things I want to do before I reach the big 3-0 and I will admit I’ve cheated a bit, I already know I’m doing some of these in the next 2 years, but it still counts ok!
30 Things I plan to do before I turn 30
- Bungee Jump – Something I swore I’d never do, but now the thought of never doing it in my life just doesn’t feel right to me.
- Kayak – Never been a fan of water or boats, but as above, wouldn’t want it to pass me by.
- Live in a different country – This is something that has always appealed to me, even from a very young age. I’d like the opportunity to experience what it is like to live outside of British culture as I feel like I don’t really know much outside of it!
- Learn to play the piano – I started to learn when I was about 7 or 8 years old, but I have a very short attention span and have an issue with authority, so my piano teacher became a bore before long and I gave up. I’ve always wanted to be able to play though!
- Go to Fiji – I’ve always said I want to go to Fiji, other than it’s very pretty to look at, I know nothing about it. For some reason, whenever anyone asked ‘Where would you like to go in the world?’ I always said Fiji.
- Work in a ski resort – I do snowboard, albeit very badly, but something about working in a ski resort seems like a lot of fun. snowboarding all day and drinking all night? Sign me up.
- Drive a campervan – I would love to get a campervan all by myself and just take a solo road trip somewhere beautiful. This is one of the things that is very high up on my list!
- Go to New Zealand – I love Lord of the Rings and New Zealand has always looked so picturesque and beautiful! Plus kiwi humour is exactly what I’m looking for in life.
- Walk the Great Wall of China – Well I’m already geared up for this one!
- Meet Taika Waititi – He’s a gift to this earth and hilarious. I always cringe at the thought of meeting famous people, but Taikia is an exception, I’d buy him a beer and everything would be fine.
- Go to a music festival – I’ve been to a very small one, but I’m not counting that.
- Do a ‘survival of the fittest’ style course – In 2018 I’ve got to start getting serious about my training and fitness levels, so I’d love to do one of these super hard courses to test my progress!
- Climb Ben Nevis – I’ve got to do a lot of hiking training next year, so this is on my list of things to do!
- Climb Snowdon – See above!
- Go to a midnight showing of a movie – I used to work in a cinema and I loved working the midnight showings because the atmosphere was always electric! I worked the midnight showing for Harry Potter Deathly Hallows Part 2 and I wish I’d taken a holiday so I could have attended it as a guest!
- Go to Japan – Japanese culture has always fascinated me, so I’d love to go and experience it first hand.
- Go to Austrailia – Somewhere I’ve never had a massive desire to go, to be honest, the poisonous things put me off, but once again, I don’t want to avoid it forever!
- Travel solo – I’ve done a little bit of this already, but I’d like to do a big solo trip around a few different countries, just me and my backpack.
- Learn a new sport – When I look back over the few sports I’ve taken interest in, they either entail me doing something dangerous, or punching people in the face. Maybe I should try rock climbing? Or kayaking!
- Work freelance – Again, I do this already when I can fit it around my normal job, you can see over on my Cat Crawford Marketing website, but I’d love to be able to do a bit more!
- Be able to squat 50kg – I have a few fitness goals, but this is one of my more long-term ones.
- Cook a 3-course meal – The furthest I’ve got with this is cooking Christmas dinner last year, but I’d like to attempt a full 3-course meal, even if it’s just for me!
- Write a film script – I’ve written short film scripts back in university, but I’m currently working on a feature-length one that may take me a looooong time to actually finish.
- Read all of the Game of Thrones books – I am the worst reader in the world. I think in my life I’ve probably read 12 books and 7 of those were Harry Potter, so this one is also a very big challenge!
- Collect all the Beatles albums on vinyl – I’ve got 3 already that I stole from my dad’s collection!
- Get a husky – My love for huskies almost outweighs my love for my closest friends and family. I need one in my life.
- Live without the internet for 7 days – I grew up in the world of MSN and AOL messenger, so I barely remember what it is like to be completely unreachable. Maybe whilst I’m traveling around in my campervan, I can go internet free?
- Ride a motorbike – I am scared of them, so this could be an issue, but you should always do what you’re scared of doing.
- Have a uni reunion – I missed the last one.
- Go to a masquerade ball – I’m talking full Marie Antoinette, ball gown and big hair kind of masquerade ball. Like that girl has in Hocus Pocus.
It’s important to have some sort of goal, just allow yourself the flexibility to change and alter them a little as you go. You never know what circumstances are going to arise in the future, so try not to feel to disheartened if you don’t tick everything off your list on time!
Want to create your own bucket list? Head to Bucketlistly!