Starting a gratitude journal is something I’ve been meaning to do for a very long time, but because I have the attention span of a fly, I’ve been failing at it miserably.
It’s important to understand the power that gratitude can have over our mental wellbeing. Taking time to reflect on what we have, rather than what we don’t have can help us find a happiness in the present, like nothing else can.
When you realise how perfect [or at least better than it could be] everything is, you will tilt your head back and laugh at the sky.Gautama Buddha
I once read a beginners book on Buddhism, when I was looking for ways to understand my depression a little bit better and I read something that really stuck with me. It said that we create suffering by constantly wanting instead of being happy and grateful for what we have.
It got me thinking about how many times I had thought I was suffering or having a shitty day, when actually I was just letting my greed rule my emotions. I wondered how many times I had been unhappy simply because I didn’t have something I didn’t even need. The answer was a lot.
So in the spirit of reducing suffering and finding happiness in the present, here are some of the things I’ve been grateful for recently.
- Finally having a long term roof over my head
- Having the balls to send an email to a company I wanted to work for and actually getting a job – not even a job that they had an opening for, but a job that they created because they wanted ME specifically
- My flexibility – it makes de stressing through Yoga a lot easier
- My creativity and entrepreneurial spirit
- Being able to afford food – something I was a little worried about before the beginning of the week
- To be currently living in a beautiful country and city right next to the sea
Now it’s your turn. What have you been grateful for this week? Let me know over on Twitter @travellalune or over on Insta @crawford_cat